The Orientation iBloc is a custom widget designed for running iRise prototypes on mobile devices, including iPads, iPhones, and Android devices. It enables dynamic page resizing and reformatting when the screen is rotated and orientation changes.
Current Version: 1.2
Supported iRise Studio Version: 8.10 – 8.12
Supported Browsers: IE v8.0+, Firefox v3.5+, Safari v4+, Chrome v8+, iOS Safari (iPhone and iPad), Android Browser
Works in iRise iPhone and iPad Apps: Yes
What does it do?
- Fires one of two custom events when a page loads or orientation changes while viewed on an iPad or iPhone or other mobile device browser.
- Version 1.2 also allows you to manually switch orientation and fire custom events when viewing in a browser.
- These custom events can be used to trigger any combination of iRise actions or links, including switch views, change properties, show/hide, etc.
How can I use it?
- Drag the Orientation iBloc onto any empty area of the page.
- In the properties panel, select target device. Options are iPad, iPhone, or Custom.
- If your target device is a non-Apple mobile browser (Android for example), select Custom for target device enter the device’s portrait and landscape screen widths in pixels.
- Connect the iBloc to any action or link on the canvas by dragging and dropping.
- Change the default event to “on landscape” or “on portrait”
- The same iBloc can be used to trigger both events.
- See the video below for a demonstration.
Can I see it work?
Here’s a brief demo of the Orientation 1.1 iBloc in action on the iPad and how to use it in Studio.
Tips & Tricks
- Note that this iBloc does nothing at all when viewing prototypes on desktop or laptop computers. It is only for reviewing prototypes on mobile devices
- You can create links in your prototype to trigger your ‘on landscape’ and ‘on portrait’ actions for testing or changing modes when reviewing in a browser.